Sunday, October 3, 2010

Time To Meet The Heir...

As agreed on the day prior, it was time to meet the Cohen children.  The ballerina wouldn't be able to join as she was at rehearsal so it was Derek, his 8 year old son, and myself.  He properly greeted me, shook my hand and introduced himself.  He seemed shy and a bit fidgety.  We were seated at our table and I found it rather difficult to talk with him.  He seemed rather mature, quiet and a bit resentful.  Every chance he could he would talk of his mother.  And I get that.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to have separate homes...  


He had virtually no manners, was entitled and demanding.  I was completely turned off and could tell that Derek was embarrassed.  After all, the reason his son is this way is because of Helen and Derek.  "No" wasn't a term he was familiar with and I have never met an 8 year old who orders an Arnold Palmer and filet mignon.  I tried to find common interests to talk with him about.  I received nothing back.


It was hard for me to have these feelings for Derek that were so strong but imagining his entitled little boy in my future.  I was in fear of meeting his daughter as I could only imagine that being an even bigger disaster.  I  then promised myself I would allow them to approach me and learn to like me on their terms.  And that meant risking that they may never like me at all.  But I was willing to give it a chance for love.


Looking back at that decision is one of the most complicated, difficult, rewarding promises I ever made myself.  And I can say whole heartedly, that I ended up loving those two kids as if they were my own.  They too are part of this great love affair...


*Oriana

No comments:

Post a Comment